From the War Zone to the Home Front: Free Webinar Series for Civilian Providers
With support from the Red Sox Foundation, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the National Center for PTSD, the Home Base Program offers free training on military-connected topics of interest to civilian providers. In 2012, this collaboration resulted in an excellent 14-part series of live, interactive, online trainings for community primary care and mental health providers. Providers have the option of taking the course at their own pace; the PowerPoint slides may also be downloaded. One hour of CEUs is available for each week’s session, and a certificate can be downloaded. This course is available by clicking here.
Courses from 2012 include:
Introductory Sessions (Lecture 1 -4)
1. The Challenges of Coming Home After War: What Providers Need to Know – Series Overview by Matthew Friedman, M.D., Ph.D., and Naomi Simon, M.D., M.Sc.
2. Reintegration Issues from the Veterans Perspective: Overcoming the Stigma of Seeking Help by Margaret Harvey, Psy.D., Roger A. Knight IV, and Nicholas Dutter
3. When One Family Member Serves, the Entire Family Serves by Kathy Clair-Hayes, LICSW, M.S.W., M.A. and Patricia Lester, M.D.
4. Recognizing PTSD and Co-Morbidities by Terence M. Keane, Ph.D.
Family & Child Content (Lecture 5 -8)
1. Keeping Military Families Emotionally Strong: Couples Therapy for PTSD by Steffany Fredman, Ph.D.
2. Challenges Facing Other Family Members When a Veteran Has PTSD by Bonnie Ohye, Ph.D. and Daniel Maher, LICSW
3. Supporting Resiliency in Military Connected Children: The PACT Model by Paula Rauch, M.D.
4. Impact of Combat-Related Injury, Illness and Death on Military Children and Families by Stephen Cozza, M.D.
Veteran Content (Lecture 9 -14)
1. Clinical Practice Guidelines and Resources for PTSD Treatment by Matthew Friedman, M.D., Ph.D.
2. Traumatic Brain Injury by Ross Zafonte, D.O.
3. Prolonged Exposure and Virtual Reality Therapy for PTSD by Barbara Rothbaum, Ph.D. and Stefan Schmertz, Ph.D.
4. Military Sexual Trauma by Amy Street, Ph.D.
5. Psychopharmacology of PTSD by Rebecca Brendel, M.D. and Bruce Capehart, M.D.
6. Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD by Kathleen Chard, Ph.D.
In 2013, the National Center for PTSD, the Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Red Sox Foundation again collaborated and developed an additional nine-session online course for the Home Base Program. The curriculum includes the following courses:
• Challenges of Treating Co-Morbid PTSD and TBI by Rebecca Weintraub Brendel, MD, JD and Ross D. Zafonte, DO
• Recognizing Suicide Risk in Returning Veterans by Lisa Brenner, PhD, ABPP
• Military Culture and the Challenges of Coming Home by BG (Ret) Jack Hammond and Roger A. Knight IV
• Sleep Issues in Returning Veterans by Bruce P. Capehart, MD
• Substance Abuse by Andrew J. Saxon, MD
• Aggression and Domestic Violence by Casey Taft, Ph.D.
• Managing Grief and Loss in Returning Veterans and Families by Naomi M. Simon, MD, MSc
• Pain Issues in Returning Veterans by Carri-Ann Gibson, MD, DAAPM
• PTSD Diagnosis and DSM-5 by Matthew J. Friedman, MD, Ph.D.