Last month the North Carolina Preventing Underage Drinking Initiative (NCPUDI) released a report on the state of underage drinking in North Carolina, including NCPUDI results as well as North Carolina and national comparisons. NCPUDI focuses on community-based approaches emphasizing environmental management strategies. Here are highlights from the report:
In North Carolina from 1998 to 2011 there has been a:
- — 41% reduction in alcohol use before age 13;
- — 20% reduction in past 30 day use of alcohol; and
- — 23% reduction in binge drinking.
Compared to the Nation, North Carolina ranks:
- — 44th lowest in 12-20 year old past 30 day use;
- — 48th lowest in 12-20 year old binge drinking; and
- — 45th lowest in alcohol related traffic fatalities among 15-20 year olds and 41% lower than the national average.
For a copy of the report, click here.