Center for Deployment Psychology (CDP) Releases New Online Course

North Carolina is the home to nearly 800,000 veterans, over 125,000 military members who have served in Iraq and/or Afghanistan, and over 155,000 military children. While veterans are eligible for health and behavioral health services from the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), only 51% of Gulf II veterans have enrolled for VA services. The remaining 49% as well as military spouses and children have sought their care from public and private health care facilities. Due to this significant sector of military-connected individuals, it is critical for health and behavioral health care professionals to be competent in military culture.

Last month, the CDP, in collaboration with the US Department of Defense, the US Department of Veteran Affairs, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, launched the first of four modules in an online course, Military Culture: Core Competencies for Health Care Professionals. The course as a whole will offer a total of eight Continuing Education credits, although each module may also be taken individually. All four modules are anticipated to be available in February 2014.

Module 1: Self-Assessment and Introduction to Military Ethos

Module 2: Military Organization and Roles

Module 3: Stressors and Resources

Module 4: Treatment, Resources, and Tools

Click here to read more about each module and take the course.

Free continuing education credits are available for physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, counselors, and marriage and family therapists. For more information, click here.

Students in health career preparatory programs are also advised to take the course. In a recent visit to Duke University, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Bob McDonald met with medical students to promote the VA as an ideal place of employment. The VA is facing an estimated shortage of 28,000 physicians, nurses, other healthcare providers, and administrative staff.